(Image credit: ubergizmo.com)
Apple lost its latest appeal against Samsung on Thursday, when a US judge ruled that the Cupertino-based company did not have enough evidence to force a permanent sales ban on certain Samsung smartphones. Apple's claims that the South Korean company had infringed on various patented features did not add up for Distrct Judge Lucy Koh, who ruled against the injunction the iPhone maker has been pressing for over the last three years. Since then, Apple has been awarded more than $900 million by US juries, but missed out on what have been a fatal blow to Samsung. In a separate order, Koh fined Samsung approximately $930 million in damages owing to a 2012 finding of patent infringement, something the company said it would appeal.
"We...agree with [the ruling's] observation that a few software features alone drive consumer demand for Samsung products - rather consumers value a multitude of features," said Samsung in a statement following the ruling. Apple had claimed infringment of features such as the use of fingers to pinch and zoom on the screen, as well as the flat, black glass screen common to smartphones of both brands.
Apple declined to comment on the ruling.
This won't be the last of the series of battles between the two tech giants, as Apple is set to take Samsung to court again later this month, this time over newer Samsung models.